Talking about food of Lao and Luang Prabang, the cuisine mostly was influenced by the countries that colonized Lao. At the same time, northeastern Thailand has similar food to Lao’s, for instance, Larb, Spicy pork soup and Steamed fish with curry paste. However, delicious local food in Luang Prabang has good taste and it is an identity of Asia and Europe owing to main dishes and dessert. The interesting menus are below.
- Pho normally is like typical noodles but Luang Prabang’s Pho is not. It is flatter and thinner than the normal style. Clear soup and Tom yum soup are optional. For those who love spicy, they should go for Tom yum soup as it tastes like Nam Prik Ong which is hot and composed of minced pork, pork skin and tomato. After these ingredients are fried, they are taken as toppings.
- Luang Prabang Khao Jee is not just a common Khao Jee in Thailand which made of grilled sticky rice. Luang Prabang Khao Jee is a cut long baguette that has meat and vegetable. The menu got influenced from French colonization.
- Luang Prabang Som Tum is famous for tourists. Shrimp paste and chopped papaya are the stars of menu.
- Grilled chunky pork is cooked by charcoal grilling the marinated pork. It is a must eat because of the good smell.
- Steamed fish with curry paste of Luang Prabang is a local food so it has several kinds of the menu, for example, green seaweed, duck, fish and red ant eggs. It is perfect when it is hot and coupled with sticky rice as a main meal.
- Lao curry is a traditional food of Luang Prabang, it has boiled buffalo meat, fermented fish sauce, chili, tomato and coccinia grandis. Putting all ingredients in the bamboo and grill it when it is done, there will be little juicy and the look of it seems like to be northern mixed curry and Chinese vegetable stew.
- Jaew Mak Len or grilled tomato salsa is a kind of chili paste of Luang Prabang. The presentation looks like Nam Prik Num or Northern Thai Green Chili Dip but it tasted milder. Jaew Mak Len suits best with boiled vegetable or fresh vegetable and this point makes it became well-known.